Learn how to create a Medieval Castle inside Unreal Engine 5!
Ever wondered how can you make an epic castle in Unreal Engine? I will show you how you can do it!
I'm Mao and I want to show you can you can create a Castle in Unreal Engine 5.
I started learning Unreal in 2012, back in the day when only Unreal Engine 3 was available. A lot has happened since then and I've been making environments for a living now.
In the last years I worked in Ubisoft making levels for games like Skull and Bones.
When I started learning I always watched tutorials online. It was the only type of class I could afford back then. So this is my course to give back to the community. In this course I will show you all my techniques, workflows and how you can do it too!
I will not only show you how to use the tools in Unreal to model. But I will share with you the language that artist use to communicate, so that you can use it too to make your levels look prettier.
If after watching this course you feel like you have improved your technical skills, modeling or visual art skills then that is a win!
I also hope to make it as fun as entertainment as possible. It's not only a tutorial, but a way for me to connect with you.
I will continue to update this course as I work on it. So it will have a special price for people who want to get it earlier!
Learn Visual Arts in Unreal!
This is not only a modeling tutorial. You will also learn the language of visual arts. Artists have a very specific way to communicate so that they can improve their pieces. You will know more about composition, color, lines, shapes and much more!
Learn to model inside Unreal
I will guide you step by step how you can model everything inside Unreal and how to make it look good!
You will not need to go out of Unreal to any other modeling software such as Blender or 3ds Max.
Learn Environment Creation
Environment Art is a skill that is on demand in the game industry. Learn all the techniques used in AAA studios to decorate big environments.
Learn Modeling inside UE5
You will learn most useful operations for modeling inside Unreal Engine without the need to go to another 3D modeling application.
Learn to do UV Mapping
UV Mapping can be a tedious task. Here you will learn how to UV map your objects to manipulate how the textures will look in your model without using any other 3D modeling application.
Learn Landscape Techniques
From creating terrains in Gaea, to using procedural tools to modify our landscape. Here you will learn to create a complete Master Material for your Landscape and learn when to use them and how to make them work for your environment using different methods.
Optimize for games
Learn to create your own Master Materials so save memory and increase the quality of your texture resolution while using Megascans. Using this technique will allow you to quickly decorate your environment in a consistent way.
Set Dressing techniques
Learn different set dressing techniques for game environments. From physics simulations to art theory application and composition. Set dressing is a skill in high demand in the industry and it can help you to land a job in a big game company if done right.
Detailing modeling techniques
Learn different techniques used to quickly detail your game environments using different tools used by AAA studios to quickly increase the quality of your models and take them to the next level.
- Activating the Modeling Tools Plugin (1:04)
- How to create Shapes (39:19)
- Poly Modeling tools (18:23)
- Tri Modeling tools (16:41)
- Sculpting (10:19)
- Deformer tools (3:19)
- Displace tools (5:57)
- Transform tools (4:38)
- Mesh Ops (7:00)
- Voxel Operations (6:07)
- Material Groups (5:26)
- Baking Models (8:24)
- UV Mapping (4:35)
- 1. Creating the terrain (9:46)
- 2. References (6:11)
- 3. Blockout (21:05)
- 4. Scale (13:25)
- 5. Designing the tower (7:51)
- 6. Adding details to the gate (5:13)
- 7. Detailing the bastion - Part 1 (6:36)
- 8. Detailing straight curtains - Part 1 (12:56)
- 9. Detailing curved curtains - Part 1 (8:16)
- 10. Detailing the bastion - Part 2 (10:09)
- 11. Detailing straight curtains - Part 2 (4:41)
- 12. Detailing curved curtains - Part 2 (5:31)
- 13. Adding fog (3:57)
- 14. Creating a Packed Instanced Blueprint (11:49)
- 15. Weighted Normals Theory (4:36)
- 16. Using the Lattice to change the shape of the Bastion (1:09)
- 17. Bastion weighted normals (9:22)
- 18. Fixing Bastion support line (2:23)
- 19. Straight Carronade Blueprint (5:04)
- 20. Curved Carronade Blueprint (5:04)
- 21. Creating a Square Tower (11:23)
- 22. Adding smooth edges to Square Tower (9:10)
- 23. Straight Carronade support loops (18:52)
- 24. Curved Carronade support loops (5:03)
- 25. Gaea export Terrain Masks (10:45)
- 26. Creating a Landscape Auto Material - Part 1 (10:16)
- 27. Creating a Landscape Auto Material - Part 2 (14:45)
- 28. Painting Landscape Layers (8:02)
- 29. Activating Landmass (6:25)
- 30. Landscape Distanced Based Blending (10:57)
- 31. Applying the distance blend for other materials (9:55)
- 32. Creating a Material Instance Parameter Collection (7:52)
- 33. Changing Terrain textures (7:22)
- 34. Slope Auto Material (10:34)
- 35. Landmass mountain (8:55)
- 36. Carronade Basic Material UV (18:30)
- 37. Carronade Vertex Painting (16:46)
- 38. Bastion UVs (17:57)
- 39. Bastion Vertex Painting (8:31)
- 40. Curved Carronade UVs (11:10)
- 41. Curved Carronade Vertex Painting (6:09)
- 42. Carronade Support UVs (5:18)
- 43. Carronade Support Vertex Painting (4:22)
- 44 Carronade Props UVs (4:44)
- 45. Curved Carronade Props UVs (3:20)
- 46. Square Tower UVs (12:32)
- 47. Square Tower Vertex Painting (5:02)
- 48. Gate UVs (10:03)
- 49. Gate Vertex Painting (8:21)
- 50. Castle Layout (13:52)
- 51. Castle Logic Layout (17:07)
- 52. Recreating a tower with right scale (10:36)
- 53. Creating the Castle Bridge (12:40)
- 54. Creating the main Castle Wall (16:38)
- 55. Blending the Castle with rocks (13:13)
- 56. Creating the Rock Master Material (9:00)
- 57. Creating Material Layer Blends (13:43)
- 58. Creating Slope Mask Layer Blend (9:00)
- 59. Creating Mountains for background (15:23)
- 60. Creating a cliff on the Landscape (8:57)
- 61. Creating a Mid Size Boulder asset (23:15)
- 62. Using physics to simulate rocks (5:09)
- 63. Using Booleans to Create Destroyed assets (11:51)
- 64. Set Dressing Destroyed assets (12:38)
- 65. Creating the Castle Bridge (8:39)
- 66. Set dressing the outside of the Castle (11:12)
- 67. Modifying Quixel Master Material for 3D assets (4:40)
- 68. Decorating with Big Ground Shapes (20:09)
- 69. Decorating the Cliffs (12:32)
- 70. Creating the Carronade window (10:01)
- 71. Adding Carronade lights (13:49)
- 72. Controling the Castle lights globally (5:53)
- 73. Understanding Art Value Theory (17:15)
- 81. Adjusting our Castle Height (14:15)
- 82. Decorating Castle Smaller elements (17:59)
- 83. Creating the wooden Bridge floor (10:19)
- 84. Finishing the bridge structure (16:18)
- 85. Detailing our bridge (14:14)
- 86. Creating our custom rope (7:01)
- 87. Refining the Terrain (13:38)
- 88. Adding the terrain that leads to the castle (14:48)
- 89. Terrain set dressing (10:08)
- 90. Detialing the terrain with procedural grass (23:40)
- 91. Set dressing tips (21:22)
- 92. Removing the Blockout Bridge (14:06)
- 93. Castle finishing modeling touches (6:22)
- 94. Adding Wind to Flags (11:40)
- 95. Post Processing (19:04)
- 96. Creating our sequencer (20:03)
- 97. Rendering our cinematic (8:51)
How long can i access the content of this course?
The course is available for Lifetime access! Buy once, own forever.
Do you have a community where I can share the work I do?
Absolutely! Feel free to join the Discord to share your progress with us. We are happy to help you and share some critiques so that you are not alone creating your environment!
I am a complete beginner. Can I still follow along?
Although this course shows all the steps, it is good to have a good understanding of how Unreal Engine works. If you can follow along the introduction with no problems, you are good to go (it is free to watch)! If not, we recommend to watch some introduction videos here for free.
Check our other courses!
Take a look at other amazing tutorials we got!
Creating a Brick Wall in Substance Designer
Learn Advanced techniques in Substance Designer to create complex materials
Blueprints Quick Start for Beginners in Unreal Engine 5
Learn how to program your games by using Unreal's powerful visual programming tool.
Developing a Minimap in the style of Final Fantasy XIV using Blueprints and Materials in Unreal Engine 5
Learn to create a full game feature using Unreal Engine 5!
Introduction to Chaos Destruction in Unreal Engine 5 for Beginners
Learn the most complete destruction simulation system in Unreal Engine 5!
Unreal Engine 4 - Niagara for Beginners
Learn everything you need to know in order to make your own VFX inside Unreal Engine 4 with Niagara!
Open Worlds in Unreal Engine 5 - Complete Landscape Guide for Beginners
Learn to create a realistic landscape in Unreal Engine 5
Looking for help?
Join our Discord channel and ask us directly!